Saturday, June 30, 2007

Got Intarsia? Check!!


I’m such a Fickle Franny, like my mother would say. Here I thought I didn’t want to do colorwork, now I’ve done mosaic, intarsia and I’m looking for my first fair isle. Or is it just a knitting thing? Once you’ve mastered something, you just want to move on and ‘do it all’?? I guess everyone is different.

My brother recently told me he thought the process of knitting would just “get old”. Well, those of us who are true addicts know the truth. It never gets old. In fact, I think it gets more and more interesting as you start to learn about all the different things you can do. I mean you could make nothing but hats your whole life and learn just about every different technique.

Jim’s (my brother) an artist too. He chooses to work in the mediums of stained glass and wood. Here’s his site: http://www.adelphiastainedglass.com/, which of course doesn’t begin to do justice to his work. Every time he finishes something, he’ll never make that same thing again. It has to be different. He can’t stay in one place long enough to knit something.

Am I just crazy? I even like the weaving in of the ends of the yarn and the sewing together of pieces, the whole process. I love the finished objects, but I’m definitely realizing it’s the journey for me.


About the "Double Scoop" pics, I'm terrible about showing my WIP's, usually just FO's, so here's the inside shot of my hopefully not too scary weaving in. I found that I had some pretty big holes on some areas, so the weaving helped a lot with that. Not sure why, I followed the directions I got from the video at knittinghelp.com. The yarn is Knit Picks 'Main Line', which I do like very much and I imagine I'll be going back for more of this one. The other shot is the little stripes I added to the back, since it was pretty plain, I love the contrast of the purl side of the stripes. I can see doing a project using the 'wrong' side in my future.

Little Sydney and I had our ‘girl’s day’ yesterday, first we went to Waechter’s Silk Shop here in Asheville, http://fabricsandbuttons.hostasaurus.com/, this is a wonderful fabric shop that is known for their button selection. We went to get a little button for her “Double Scoop” sweater. For some reason, the neck seemed a little tight, so I left the side open and will add a loop and button to it. We found a great button, matches the sweater wonderfully and also some for my Arietta.

Then we had lunch at the City Bakery next door to Waechter’s, a black forest ham and cheese panini with some great grainy mustard. Some Honest organic iced tea. Then off to the Library and park, where we played and got (guess what??) more knitting books to read.

Found this great one called “Nursery Rhyme Knits”, by Teresa Boyer. How cute is this book? Let me tell you….it’s adorable. One of these may be my first Fair Isle project. She’s incorporated not only designs from many favorite nursery rhymes, but even the words as well. My favorite has to be the “Mary had a Little Lamb”.

One of these days I’ll get back to sewing and making things to sell, for now I’m having too much fun exploring my knitting possibilities. Off to make some Carrot Cake for hubby’s birthday tomorrow. Yummy!! I’ll leave you with some pics of my 3 year old, what a little contradiction she is. I know, I know, it’s a ‘knitting’ blog. But she’s my kid, and, darn it, she’s pretty cute!!

No comments: